Circuit Court Clerk
- What are your hours of operation?
- 8:00-4:15 Monday-Friday
- How much are copies?
- Regular-- $0.50 per page
Certified-- $5.00 plus $0.50 per page
- Are forms available that may be downloaded?
- Forms are not available at this time.
General Court Information
- What types of cases are handled by Circuit Court?
- What time does court start?
- Please refer to the court calendar for schedule information.
- How do I know where to go to court?
- The papers that you were served with or mailed have a room number or court name on them. It is very important to bring your paperwork so you can be directed to the correct courtroom.
- If indicted by the Grand Jury, when do I go to court?
- You would be required to appear in court for arraignment on the third Monday of the month. You will be given your next court appearance dates at that time.
- Is it possible to change my court date?
- Can the Clerk’s Office recommend an attorney?
- No, it cannot.
- Can I file my own lawsuit?
- Anyone can file a lawsuit; however, it is recommended that you hire an attorney to protect yourself. This office cannot give you legal advice, but we do have forms available.
- Can I talk to the judge?
- No. Judges are not allowed exparte communication with litigants. You will have a chance to present your side in the courtroom when both parties are present.
- Why did I receive a cost bill when I never went to court?
- Court costs are determined by the pleadings filed in the Circuit Court, not by appearances in the courtroom. The judge assesses all costs.
- What must I do when I receive a jury summons?
- Immediately tell your employer about your jury service date. If you need to be excused or postponed, please provide proper documentation to the court.
- How was I chosen for jury duty?
- Your name is randomly selected by a computer from a list of Rutherford County licensed drivers.
- How often can I serve jury duty?
- Once every two (2) years.
- Who is eligible for jury duty?
- You must be at least eighteen (18) years old, a citizen of the U.S., and a resident of Rutherford County.
- How much do jurors get paid?
- Rutherford County jurors are paid $11.00 for each day they answer roll call.
- How long does jury duty last?
- How many days and hours you work as a juror depends on the case. You will be “on call” for the month.
- Is this where I get a marriage license?
- No. You need to contact the County Clerk’s Office.
- Is this where I file for a divorce?
- Do you have paperwork for me to file my own divorce?
- We have a few papers that we require. Divorce papers can be obtained at an office supply store or through an attorney. Cost: No Children- $232.50, Children- $307.50
- Where do I get a copy of my final Decree of Divorce?
- You can get a copy from the Circuit Court or Chancery Court if you filed in Rutherford County.
- Can I obtain a certificate for the Department of Safety to get my license reinstated if I do not have all fees and costs paid?
- No, you are required to have all fees and costs paid first.
- Can I file my own petition for contempt?
- You may file your own petition for a fee. The other party must be served with the petition and service can be obtained through the Sheriff’s Department, by certified mail, or by private process.
- Who do I contact to help me collect child support without a fee?
- Child support may be collected through the Child Support Office with the help of the Assistant Director. (615) 898-8002
- Where can information on foreclosures be obtained?
- The court does not handle foreclosures. The bank or mortgage holder has this information.
- Where do I go to keep someone away from me?
- Contact Domestic Violence at 896-7377 or the Judicial Commissioners at 217-0054.